Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Slip Away


Photo © Dawn Allynn


When I was young
I laughed and played
Beneath the summer sun.
I didn't know
How time could fly –
I only knew of fun.
Somehow time
Slipped out of hand
While I was out at play,
And when I looked,
The child was gone,
She'd slowly slipped away.

I watched it slip away,
Like a wind through the trees.
I watched it slip away
Like a sailboat on the sea.
There was nothing I could do,
And nothing I could say…
I just held it while I could and then,
I watched it slip away.

So much of life
Has gone that way
I've learned to live the moment
For if I wish
For all that’s gone
I'll only live in torment.
Life is so short
It won't come back
So like a child I play
I live for nowI love for now
Then I watch it slip away.

I watch it slip away,
Like a wind through the trees.
I watch it slip away
Like a sailboat on the sea.
Well there's nothing I can do,
And nothing I can say…
I just hold it while I can, and then,
I watch it slip away.


~2002

No comments: